You are involved in an accident, now what?

You may be “off your feet” for the first few moments after an accident, but these first moments are very important. What do you do? Do you take out the collision form or do you first reach for your mobile phone to take pictures? What should you pay attention to when taking pictures or filling in the collision form? Should you call the police? Do you stop or drive on?

After an accident, should you drive on or stop?

No matter how minor the damage to your or the other vehicle may be, you always stop. If you do not stop, or if you continue driving after hesitating for a while, you are guilty of a crime of flight, punishable in Belgium by a fine of € 200.00 to € 2,000.00 and/or a prison sentence of 15 days to 6 months and a driving ban of 8 days to no less than 5 years.

A young driver will in any case be banned from driving for a certain period and the theoretical and/or practical driving test has to be retaken. The penalties for a hit-and-run are considerable, so always stop after an accident even if it is the slightest touch.

Filling in the collision form

Again, always fill in the collision form. This form is used by your insurer and those of the other person(s) involved to assess liability.

It is therefore important to fill in the form (with an accompanying sketch) as accurately as possible.

Should I call the police?

If it is an accident with only material damage, you are not obliged to call the police. If the accident resulted in injuries, you must contact the police. If the other party involved is angry or putting pressure on you to fill in the collision form, always contact the police.

When the police arrive on the scene, they will take up all the necessary findings in a report. These findings have special evidential value and are the most important evidence in the event of a dispute.

Notify your insurer

Of course, it’s logical: your car has been damaged in an accident and you want to be compensated. You provide them with the complete file, collision form, photos, details of the other party and reports from the police.

If you are not at fault, your insurer will reimburse you for the damage and, if necessary, reclaim the damages from the other party’s insurer.

What about a traffic lawyer?

An accident with material and/or physical damage often results in a lawsuit. For example, you are convinced that you are not at fault, your insurer also has the same opinion, even the other party has suggested that they are slightly more at fault than you are but the insurer of the other party is being difficult.

This is the moment your traffic lawyer steps in. We defend your interests, respond to your requests or the ones of your legal expenses insurer and make sure that you get what you are entitled to: the compensation for all your suffered losses and the qualified assistance with all kinds of examinations to find out who is at fault.

Need a lawyer?
Charlotte Lerat

Specialized in traffic law

Read more >

Advice and assistance

Do you have questions about your own situation?

If you have any questions about your own situation, do not hesitate to contact our office so that we can advise and assist you.

    News & Insights

    Nothing found.

    Need a lawyer?
    Charlotte Lerat


    If you have any questions about your own situation, do not hesitate to contact our office so that we can advise and assist you.

    Contact us